View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
Well I received my replacement radiator last week via autohausaz . They sent me a new one because the one i originally bought was seeping coolant by the upper radiator hose area. I had time saturday plus some time off. So today I attempted the hardest diy so far, the replacement rad, lower hose, bypass hose, coolant temp switch. The overall result was a success with some frustration on the side. When I completed the install the new behr made in SA radiator is again seeping in the same spot. I am too exhausted to redo this again with a dealer radiator, hell im willing to get any radiator but behr at this point. So i will give it some time and decide what radiator to purchase that wont seep RIGHT AWAY although at this point im starting to get annoyed and think they are all nothing but a p.o.s. Next time i will redo it along with new water pump, expansion tank, and fan clutch.

The fan clutch removal was the easiest to do, granted i purchased the 32mm wrench with pulley holder because i am new at this and whatever makes the job easier on a newbie wrencher the better so I'll take it.

The hardest was fishing the radiator under and over the atf lines, that was a bitch. Two of my friends helped me wiggle it out. Annoyingly I broke that clip by the expansion tank bleeder. I have bought mtc replacment not the oem just in case, however some freaking reason i cannot get the bleeder screw flush with the expansion tank clip. Once i install the clip, the bleeder screw does not screw in all the way, so obviously i am doing something wrong. So iinstalled the bleeder screw and jerry rigged with ziptie at the moment. I attached a pic of where the coolant is seeping from the radiator, AGAIN. Also a pic of the aluminum thermostat housing that an indy installed for me over a year ago, it looks strange underneath with a black discoloration of a line running across it, is it about to crack? members will tell me you should have replaced everything when i was down there, next time i will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	behr raditator leak.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	341978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2411.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	341979   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	341980   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2412.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	341981   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2396.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	341982  

Last edited by bkgreene39; 09-15-2012 at 06:38 PM.