View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 05:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW X5
Leak from rubber plug on transmission

Can someone tell me what type of leak I most likely have from this black rubber plug (see attached picure)? I think this is where the transmission meets the motor. I can't tell if the fluid is oil, transmission fluid or both. I recently had the rear main seal replaced and am trying to figure whether the this leak is related. In other words, should the dealer fix this for free. More details below if you care to hear my sob story.

Thanks,

Mark

Fluid leak from rubber plug on transmission

I have dark brown/black fluid leaking from the rubber plug on the bottom of my transmission. I had the rear main seal and coolant end plate replaced a month ago and every time I get the car back from the dealer it's got some new leak. They had to remove the transmission 3 times to fix the original problem. They also did the valley pan for the second time, this time under warranty since it was only a year since they fixed it the first time. As soon as I get it back there is another leak, this time they find the oil drainback line from the crank case vent valve is torn and leaking. The general manager of the dealership is a friend of mine and he had them fix that one at no charge. I get the car back and the the water pump is leaking so I have that replaced.

Any idea where this new leak is from?

Thanks,
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3417.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	342109  
Ads by Google