View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Hysterical thread. If you floor your vehicle, depending on the road surface, you might expect some breaking loose of the rear wheels. BMW's stability control is set up to allow a slight amount of "play" before the system kicks in to modulate engine output and/or apply braking. I've chirped the tires on my 535i upon spirited acceleration even after a rolling start. How much fishtailing is the OP talking about? For a brief second or so, or continuing to actually slide back and forth? You've got a lot of torque there, be careful, LOL! Good thing you didn't go for the 550i!
It was enough fishtailing to unnerve me and I have driven well over a million miles in my life. But as I stated previously the Dynamic Stability Control appears to have been turned off.The odd thing is that the DTC/DSC yellow warning light was not illuminated. I could not remember ever turning off the DSC. You actually have to hold the button down on the console for 4 or 5 seconds to disengage DSC. The only thing I can think of is that button is very close the the left cup holder and on long trips we buy large sodas at fast food restaurants and they barely fit into the cup holders. I think I may inadvertently rested a large soda on top of this button trying to get it back into those clips. How is anyone to know they turned off DSC if the warning light doesn't stay on? Putting a key function on the console right next to a cup holder is not a good idea. Maybe there is something wrong with my warning light. I will have it checked out.
2011 535i X Drive - Space Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Wood Trim, Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Dynamic Handling Package, Cold Weather Package, Active Seat Ventilation, Premium Packages 1&2, Smartphone Integration.

2012 BMW R1200RT light magnesium, Sport/Touring Motorcycle