View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Yes - I did cross-shop the two, and the X1 and the allroad were two of three vehicles that made the final cut. If you compare option for option, the allroad is the more expensive of the two. But then it's a bigger, more substantial car, so you could argue the price is justified. I personally think Audi over-priced the allroad, making it about $3,000 more expensive than the Avant for the same basic car. I would have preferred an Avant to the allroad, and that may have been my choice if Audi hadn't discontinued the regular Avant from the US lineup. Either the allroad or a second Q5 would be in my garage if they offered the 3.0 TDI. The Q5 gets the TDI next year, but I didn't want to wait.

I drive 30,000 to 35,000 miles per year, so the allroad actually suits my needs better with a softer ride, larger cargo area and higher quality interior. But to be honest, it was a little boring, and left me wanting a better driving experience. And Audi steering feels slightly over-boosted to me. So I compromised a little comfort and went with the car I thought I would enjoy driving more, at least most of the time.

The allroad also disappoints with fuel economy ratings, dropping 2 mpg from the Avant's ratings to just 27 highway. I guess some butch fender flares and a suspension lift will do that. I'm also disappointed that the full paint option is only available on the Ice Silver, Glacier White or Phantom Black. I wanted the Scuba Blue or Volcano Red in full paint. Audi offers custom paint on any vehicle, so I could have done it if I really, really wanted to ... for an extra $2,500 (gulp!). I could have lived with the black plastic fenders, but it was just one more reason to go with the X1.

We own a Q5, so I qualified for the Audi owner loyalty discount. On top of that, the Audi dealer was offering a much more generous discount. Although not as well equipped, I could have driven home a very nice allroad WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS for less than what I paid for my M Sport. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but minimal regret so far.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-19-2012 at 09:09 PM.