View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 02:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick323 View Post
Why do some manufacturers put the battery in the trunk
Weight distribution ! C'mon is it that critical to distribute that little bit of weight to the back on a road car ?
The thick cables leading to and from the engine bay weigh nothing ? & then the losses...
& then some smart ass copies this layout, gets it all wrong and wonders why his engine now performs ****ty
The elctronics guy inside me scratches his head in bewilderment
It does help balance the load, keeps the battery away from engine heat and fumes and makes space in the engine bay. The thick cables going to the back are not so heavy.

Lots of cars have the battery under the rear seat or in the boot...trunk if you are in the USA

The only problem I have with this is that a charging battery, escpecially if it is an old un-sealed lead acid battery, can give off hydrogen fumes which could go "Boom" if your back seat passenger lights up a smoke.

Oh and as regards the issue of can you push start an E30 without a battery fitted....why does somebody not do a test for us and put us out of our missery??

I personally believe that the metal core of the rotor will pick up some magnetism over time and will become a "weak" permanent magnet and hence self-exitation can happen if you spin the alternator fast enough!

Last edited by Billwill; 09-20-2012 at 02:19 AM.