View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65
Thanks for the reply. I had the car into the Independent service center yesterday. I got it back and the car is running quietly and no smoking at all. Here is the full extent of the repairs to date. I will list all repairs by the two independents, ISC1 and ISC2. ICS1, I had asked him to change the CCVs, but afterwards I will note he did not change them. He performed the compression test on all cylinders, and replaced all the spark plugs for $375 ($128 parts and $242 labor). Then he replaced the SEC air valves, pulled the manifold and replaced a hose, changed a voltage regulator part for a total of close to $850 (air pump control valve, intake gasket and air pump hose $325 parts and $525 labor.) The smoking and exhaust fault light came back the next day so I took it back and charged me another $75 to evaluate the check engine light. That is when he handed me an estimate for repairs for the following items $5299 that include Valve stem seals replacement $3375, Machine shop $800, parts $989 and taxes. He then offered to buy my car for $3000. I refused the repair estimate and purchase offers and went home. So, the next day, I started making calls to other BMW service outlets, dealers and independents. I found the best information from two independents, one in Kalamazoo and one in Grand Rapids. Both suggested that the crankcase oil ventilation system, so I was back again to the CCVs that I originally wanted ISC1 to replace. ICS2 tested the vaccuum on the dipstick and oils filler cap. He said it was very excessive. He replaced the CCVs $80 parts and labor for testing and replacement was $330. And today, there is no smoke, no hesitation or rough idling and the transmission even shifts smoother. So, hopefully all is repaired at a cost of $1620. If my 2004 745i has any further oil burning problems, I will return to this thread with more comments.