View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Hey, tim. Running a little behind? I think these were published at least a week ago.
I guess, been busy with other news and projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetik9 View Post
Love to hear the part about a "considerable" weight savings from the current model. Looking forward to seeing the final product and placing my order!
I can't say exactly how they're going to do it, I was simply told it was going to be considerably lighter -

Quote:
Thomas Schemera: Talking about the weight. The weight is of the essence. We have two components, the power train and the chassis. The chassis must be lighter than before and this is what we have to achieve and what we are going to achieve. So you are going to have a light chassis -- lighter than before. And a very good power train.
Read the entire interview - http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/61364...m6-and-f8x-m3/

The F30 sedan has steel front and rear sub frames so making those out of aluminum would be an easy place to start. Aluminum hood? Or will they go all carbon fiber this time around, a carbon fiber hood, roof and trunk would be a huge weight savings. There are plenty of places to take weight out of the car, what it cost to develop and produce the parts is what holds cars to their portly 3500lbs+ weight.

Tim