View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
My wife and I were actually planning on replacing her A4 with an Avant. So we went and test drove both the A4 avant and the A3 and were totally disappointed in the quality and performance. But at the dealer we found out that they were discontinuing the Avant for the "new" Allroad, and I got excited, for about 2 seconds until I saw that it was basically the same as the Avant, but with All-New plastic cladding and nothing new under the hood, plus an extra $3k-5K. The last Allroad was a big step up with the 2.7L and actual increased all weather driving capability. This one is basically plastic cladding, which I think looks crappy. And assuming it drove similar to the 2012 Avant, not worth $35k.

So then we expanded our search and decided to drive a 328 wagon with sport package.... and loved it!!!! Despite the $38k price tag, we were ready to buy one, when the next day I was browsing around and I saw on the BMW site (in June) the new X1s, and with the better gas mileage, quicker 0-60, and cheaper price tag than the 328 we ordered one... site unseen..

So we picked it up three weeks ago and love the way it drives, but there have been some issues with what we were expecting and what was delivered versus what was advertised (i.e. no paddle shifters on our M-sport, no iDrive, no power seats)...

So that's our story - basically we were Audi people until we actually compared the two... BMWs drive so much better, that for the (or less) price, it was a no brainer for us .. I think that the only thing the Audi has over the BMW is looks (I personally think the A4 Avant is one of the best looking family cars, apart from the new X5, but which is $15k more).

my two cents