View Single Post
Old 09-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallabmw View Post
Like I said read up! If the filter can screw up a Mercedes and other European models! It can do the same to your BMW! My buddy has a 1999 E36 M3 and ditched his and went with a Bavarian cold air intake! He had to keep cleaning the intake and his M3 would start to hesitate. If you have not noticed BMW has not offered a oil filmed air filter and there is good cause for it. Like I said my 2 american trucks seem to benifit from it including my old saab 900 turbo! But they dont have all the sensors and computer crap that these newer cars have. Just letting you know.
I gotta share this story, even through it strays a bit off topic. Bear with me, can't help myself.
Last spring I was testing a slew of different cars since my wife had decided BMWs were for snobs and "jerks" (she really said a foul body part, but I am censoring.) I am sure some guys can relate, she wanted anything but a BMW as she had been driving 2 in a row and the lease was up.
As part of the search I went to an independent dealership to test an Audi. The owner told me he had stopped selling Mercedeses since too many sales had gone bad. Owners would come back after a couple of days with all manner of breakdowns, claim a refund or have repairs covered under 60 day warranty. This coincided with the guy's wife who drove a Mercedes SUV. In one year he had to replace the transmission, the A/C system, fuel injectors, you name it. And then rght after New Year's the car somehow caught fire in the engine compartment and his garage burned down! At this point his eyes were bugging out and he was jumping up and down screaming how Mercedes had no proper quality control anymore and the cars were a menace to owners. LOL, some seriously bad luck with that car. he was lucky it was a detached garage.
I've never been a Merc fan, but this guy made a strong case for steering clear of them.

Last edited by Oceans10; 09-22-2012 at 08:48 AM.