View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 X5 3.0i
I have a 2003 with 3.0i motor, and what I noticed before purchasing my X5 was to make sure the maintenance had been done. Also, the electrical options seem to be issues throughout and more so from 1999 to 2002. BMW fixed alot of the electrical challenges from 2003 up model years. What I wanted in my X5 was the cold weather package with heated seats and no navigation and no air suspension. I have read about the challenges of the air suspension. I really wanted the 4.4i motor but ended up with the 3.0i because it had all the options that I wanted.

Like others here have said, BMW's are no different to work on than other cars so if you DIY then you will save a lot. I bought mine with 89k miles in 2.5 years ago and have put 38k on it now almost 127k total mileage. And yes i have done the front control bushings, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, OSV, spark plugs, DISA valve, new tires, powersteering fluid change, transmission fluid only (not filter yet), rear and front differential fluids and AC recharge yearly (not find a leak). And my power seat memory module went out that controls the mirrors and steering wheel. Make sure all the windows go up and down smoothly to. Mine had all been fixed by previous owner.

Every car is different. I have seen waterpumps, belts, thermastats etc. Just before I purchased mine the maintenance was done with valve cover gasket, new belts, new brakes and all fluids except transmission. Important note it does burn oil even after the OSV work done. I just change the oil every 5k (Mobil 1 Synthetic Gold) or sooner but add when needed not when light comes on. I plan on about a 1k a year to keep it up and running top notch.