View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
I know this is old news now, but yet another example of the horrible refs....

They mis spotted the ball by TWELVE YARDS on the final drive of the game

I'm not complaining, because you can still argue the theory the bad calls affect everyone equally, and you have to make the best of it and play around it.

HOWEVER, this is unprecedented, and I think it is fair to say the refs altered the outcome of what, at least 3 games in the past week? The Lions game was decided by a field goal.

The Packers game was decided on a last second play....and isn't there at least one other game?

It is very amusing for me to see the NFL in this way, because they pride themselves on being such consummate professionals. And of course, to the Lions and the Packers calls, they have "no comment".

What could they possibly say? Refs aren't perfect, never have been. Well, that may be true, but mis spotting a ball by 12 yards on a final drive is a mistake that wouldn't be made in a high school game, and its not one of those mistakes where there is some judgment involved (i.e. did the receiver have possesion, were both his feet in, etc)

from Peter King:

In Tennessee, the stunner of all stunners gave the Titans a crucial 12 free yards on what turned out to be the decisive field-goal drive in overtime, the drive that provided the winning points in Tennessee's 44-41 victory. Tennessee had 2nd-and-18 from its 44, and Jake Locker threw what was ruled a 24-yard completion to tight end Craig Stevens. At the end of the play, Detroit linebacker Stephen Tulloch was called for a 15-yard personal foul on Stevens. But the completion was reversed and ruled an incompletion.

Now the officials had to mark off the 15-yard penalty. Presumably, replay official Earnie Frantz or the officiating supervisor told the referee, Gerald Wright, to mark the 15-yard penalty from the Tennessee 44. But Wright marked it from the Detroit 44, giving the Titans a first down at the Detroit 29. If the crew had marked it from the Titans 44, the first down would have been from the Detroit 41. As it was, Tennessee, from the 29, was already in field-goal range. It's beyond inexcusable -- and to think the league office put an extra set of eyes in the replay booth to ensure debacles like a 27-yard personal foul wouldn't happen. It did anyway.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27Q6HpYmx