View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM2013X1 View Post
UPDATE: Two weeks of driving with EcoPro (80% of the time) and to me, not worth it at all. I saved a total of 5 miles and doing the $/gallon math, the .80 I saved I probably could have found under the seat! It really takes away the spirited driving experience and isn't that why we buy BMWs??? Maybe on a long highway trip, but not for everyday driving.
Just goes to show you how some of this is eco technology is little more than marketing BS. Does it help? Maybe a little. But at what cost to the driving experience? I had a BMW CA tell me that with my driving mix of mostly highway miles, I should easily achieve mid- to upper- 30's in EcoPro mode. Ha! So far it's averaging less than 27. I have another 400 mile road trip tomorrow so I'll check it again, but I'm not expecting it to deviate much from my current average.

My Forester, rated at 20/26 and with the aerodynamics of a brick, averaged 25 to 26 on the same driving cycle at similar or even higher speeds. -- That's with 25% more engine displacement and half the gear ratios (yep - a 4-speed auto)! And I would flog that thing to merge into 75 mph traffic while the X1 requires no such treatment. It simply doesn't compute.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-25-2012 at 07:30 AM.