View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 6GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiami View Post
Gotta finalize my itinerary!

I will be in a Z4 35is with performance tires... arrive on the 8th, pickup on the 9th... I am staying the night in Munich that night, but am open to where to go from there... Originally wanted to do Zurich, Lake Como, Venice, Vienna and back to Munich for drop off... but, with the weather being an issue with my tires, I don't want to chance it...

My return air is from Munich in the morning of 19-Oct.

So, I am *thinking* of doing Fussen, Stuttgart, Frankfurt, Cologne, Berlin, and to Bremerhaven for dropoff...
You have about 10 days to play with and, because of performance tires, it would be wise to adopt your new plan and stay north of the Alps. Because you are travelling in October there probably is no need to make any advance hotel reservations - in other words you can extend or cut your stay in each place so long as you make your return flight. Here is how I would spend those days:

From Munich head to Salzburg and spend two nights with the day in between exploring the town.. If the weather is nice visit Herrenchiemsee on the way. If the weather is terrible and Salzburg is snowbound then I would skip Salzburg.

Travel along the Alpenstrasse to Fussen. Go through Ramsau and photograph the exterior of the church. Check to see if the Eagle's Nest (near Berchtesgaden) is open. Only go up if it is a clear day. Stop wherever you find the scenery to be appealing - which should be numerous occasions. Definitely stop in Mittenwald and also visit the Linderhof Palace. Stop again at Wieskirche, a beautiful rococo interior. Stay two nights in Fussen and visit Neuschwanstein on the intervening day.

Continue along the Alpenstrasse to Mulhouse in France and visit the Cite de l'Automobile car museum. From there head along the Route des Vins stopping in Colmar and Riquewihr. Spend the night in Riquewihr.

Then head to Stuttgart and see the Mercedes and Porsche Museums. Spend two nights in Stuttgart.

Drive north to Koblenz and from there drive alongside the Mosel River to Beilstein and stay one night.

The next day continue along the Mosel to Cochem and then head north to Cologne. Spend one night in Cologne.

The next day continue to Bremerhaven.

That should give you a good sampling of the beauties of France, Bavaria and Austria. If I have included too many nights in my plan just cut some of the time allocated to places which are not so appealing to you.