View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 03:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 XDrive 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I tried using the lightning to USB cable that comes with the iPhone 5 and got nothing. I have a 2010 model that requires the BMW Y cable to work. Usually, when I connect my iPhone, the AUX audio option becomes iPod. Today it didn't. I suspect that it's not going to work because there's no analog out of the lightning connection, which, if I'm not mistaken, is how audio gets piped into the BMW's sound system, even if it's through the dock connection. I'm completely bummed about this and I don't see how it could possibly be resolved by software updates to either the iPhone or BMW. The hardware that was talking to each other is just no longer there. :\
Our NEW 2013 328CV just arrived (picking it up Friday) Very Excited....however not only do we get a new car, but our iPhones are due to arrive on Friday as well as per the UPS tracking.

Getting to the iPhone issue, the supplied 9 pin to USB will ONLY charge the phone. There are 2 Digital to Analog options....there is a Converter $29 that plugs into the bottom of the iPhone5 and converts to the 30 pin - big and bulky. HOWEVER, there is a special 9pin to 30pin CABLE $39 which includes the same digital to analog conversion - so the iPhone 5 with this cable 'looks' like an older phone with the 30 pin. The 30 pin is a Female connector and you plug your 30 pin cable into this. The $39 cable is shown as shipping in October, the other 30 adapter is available now online/retail store.

My X5 (2009) has the Y cable, so I think this is a simple plug and play with the 9/30 converter cable, however, I'm not sure what the '13 328CV has? Is it a USB connector only? Apple said ALL functions continue to work, including iPOD mode, playlist etc, BUT NOT THE VIDEO support. I assume you could play videos through the navigation screen when the car was stopped???? First hand feedback would be helpful, but not until that special cable arrives.

PhastPhil
2013 328i CV, Crimson Red/Black/Nav/H-K/Convenience/Premium
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2004 X5 - Gone, but not forgotten
1987 325e (e for extremely slow)gone and trying to forget
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.