Thread: Wake up!
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider
Decided to hop on by and update this thread.

The car now lives. I'm expecting to have her back on the road within the next week or so.

I've got it moving around the yard on its own power and it holds a choppy ~500rpm idle. The Crank sensor was faulty as well as the main relay AND the replacement relay (replacement passed click test).

I scoured local junkyards trying to find CPS's but they were either all pulled, faulty or the later style sensor. I finally lucked out and found a compatible one from an automatic. I had to lengthen the wires ~1ft to get it to hook up but the car cranked and ran with it... long enough to dump a quart of fresh oil on the ground.

After looking for leaks I found it was coming from where the flywheel inspection cover connects to the bellhousing. Things looked a little sludgey in there but a new pan gasket has her oil tight for the moment.

Lately I've been playing find-the-vacuum leak. So far I've caught/patched a leaky accordian hose, FPR vacuum line and both lines for the IACV (which I've now cleaned several times). I think the booster may be leaking or there may be another big vacuum leak I've missed. Pedal gets quite mushy with the car on but seems fine with it off. Haven't had a chance to cap the booster off yet.

Yesterday I replaced the cap/rotor, cleaned out all the drain channels and gave her a quick wash/wax.

Heres a picture or two of her now:

Pan Replacement:

Up next:
In-Tank Transfer Pump
Fuel Filter
Valve Adjustment
Plug Wires

Last edited by Alfa Seltzer; 09-25-2012 at 05:04 PM.