View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiami View Post
So... I have "mapped" this out by plugging in the place names you mentioned here... and this is what it looks like... MY GOOGLE MAPS
Yes, it's a bit of a "loop" but it hits the main sights along the way. A couple of notes about your Google map:

The section between Ramsau and Mittenwald uses the autobahn and takes you through Innsbruck. The really attractive drive is the Alpenstrasse which stays just north of the Austrian/German border. I have found that neither Google nor ViaMichelin will follow the Alpenstrasse without a lot of "way points". AlfredG went to the trouble of doing just that and I don't think he'd mind if you used it. Here is the URL:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...4,3.735352&z=8

The part of the Alpenstrasse that appealed to me most was between Salzburg and Fussen. The part that goes on to Lindau is not so pretty.

I have not driven the route that Google chose from Lindau to Mulhouse that goes through Switzerland. I would think it is very scenic. The Swiss vignette costs about $40 and that puts many people off especially when they are only going to spend an hour or two on Swiss roads - but the vignette is good for a year, but you probably have to bring your car back as it is stuck to the windshield!

Stuttgart's main appeal to me are the two car museums. If you have had enough car museums for the trip then I would skip Stuttgart and spend more time in Alsace and along the Mosel.

Again Google routes you mostly on the fast roads from Koblenz to Cochem and skips the really beautiful part which is road along the Mosel. I think the road that you need out of Koblenz is #416 or #49 which goes through Winningen, Niederfell and Oberfell. These roads follow the Mosel and one is on the north side and the other on the south. I liked the one on the south side slightly better but, if you have time, do both.