View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328 convertible
E93 Rest Position

Does anybody have any information on how to make the seals last longer other than just using the rubber protectants? I'm in particluar talking about when you have the car in your garage. When the top is in the up and locked position it is crushing those gaskets when there is no need (ie not raining). I wonder if it is smart to leave the top just barely into the retract cycle ie with the front disconnected but resting on the windshield and the center seam barely seperated. I wonder if that can cause other problems in the future on other hardware. I would think not. It does take the pressure off most of the seals though. Just the part cost on one of the 3 seals is about $500 without labor.

Many ragtop owners unlatch the front of thier tops to take the tension off the fabric and seals when in the garage. I wonder if the situation I mentioned above is the E93 version of that?

When the power relay went out on my top, it would completely unlatch and then not lift. I would think in the garage this would be a good rest position. To replace those seals is expensive. Any thoughts?

I agree that we need to extend this sticky to include electro/mechanical failures or start a new sticky.

Last edited by eastside328; 09-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.