View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Bimmer Lover

Mein Auto: e70, e36, e34
Actually, if you have Adaptive Drive, you have no choice but to be using AD 100% of the time - it cannot be turned off. The "Sport" Button below the gearshift implements a more aggressive adaptive drive setting. If I compare my AD Sport Package X5 to a non AD X5, here is generally what I think the driver experiences:

AD X5 - Sport Button NOT Selected - AD car is more relaxed when the car is just cruising around compared to either a standard non AD X5 or a non AD Sport X5. However, when the car is pushed hard into a corner or has to stop quickly, it is quite a bit firmer and does not roll or pitch as much as non AD X5s. I am guessing even with sport mode off, the AD X5 does not roll as much as non AD Sport X5s, but I could be wrong on this.

AD X5 - Sport Button Selected - AD car is firmer than non AD X5s and is as firm as Non AD Sport X5s when the car is just cruising around. However, when the AD car is cornering hard or has to stop quickly it is firmer than any type of non AD X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxmxwx View Post
I think you got it confused. AD is engaged (when the car has it) by the "sport" button next to the gear shift handle, and it is independent from sport shifting mode for the transmission which is engaged by moving the shift handle from Drive to the left (towards the driver) Sport/Manual mode. Probably the "sport" word is confusing as it pops up here and there all over. For example, is "sport suspension delete" really adding sport suspension (as compared to base X5) or deleting it (as compared to X5M)? I really think bmw could do a better job naming their options...
12 Powerstroke Diesel