View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I will, no offense.

I just wanted to correct some misconceptions in this thread. A Mityvac 7400 7.3l vacuum extractor will get more oil, more effectively, from the sump than gravity drain, for any BMW M54 engine. I along with many others have proven this over and over.

No jacking or ramps are required. The pump allows no contact with carcinogenic used engine oil. It is received in an enclosed container for ease of recycling. From drive in to hood down, the oil and filter can be changed in 15 to 30 minutes. The beer is optional.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=suck

YMMV, of course. Good luck.
We're talking about different things. I'm not that concerned with getting all the oil out as the galleys, pump and lifters (on cars with hydraulic lifters) are full of it. What I was talking about is the thin black film of sediment that collects on the bottom of the pan. I'm probably being too anal and even with an extractor it probably won't build up to a level where it can be sucked up into the pickup screen. But I still prefer opening the plug and letting the flowing oil carry as much out with it as possible.