View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
Is there any advantage to getting OEM BMW wheels or isn't there anything overly special about them except the badge in the middle and their hefty price tag? Just out of curiously when you order tires and wheels do you have them sent directly to your home or sent directly to a shop for installation? I live in an apartment and cringe at the thought of hauling tires and wheels around myself.
I can't speak for Tipsy, but I can add my observations.

Often, when you buy aftermarket wheels, you can have BMW hub badges added - for a price, and it is usually a small price.

I had Tirerack do both the mounting and the Hunter Road Force balancing for me, so there was no issue there.

I had the Tirerack wheel/tire/TPMS combo that I purchased delivered to my office, where they were dropped on the loading dock. I moved them from the dock to my X3, and then drove the 1.5 miles to the local independent BMW mechanic, who is listed with Tirerack, and who did the summer/winter swap for me. The tires and wheels are effing heavy.

If you remember nothing else that I ever say or write, remember this. You DO NOT want your winter rims/tires delivered to your apartment.

Knowing what I know now, I could have, and should have, had the tires/wheels drop-shipped to the local Tirerack-listed Independent BMW shop. I did not have a relationship with the shop before my first winter/summer tire swap. I do now.

There's one more question that you need to consider... Where are you going to store your off-season sneakers?