View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 12:13 AM

Mein Auto: Honda Fit, S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
For those who bought the DHP, please try to describe why you feel it is better. Is it so that you can have a softer car?
My wife and I tested a Luxury Line 328i and felt the steering was too light in comfort and better in sport. We'd want that steering all the time. But neither of us liked the aggressive auto transmission program and losing the top 2 gears for everyday driving, so we knew we would just end up leaving it in comfort all the time because you cannot configure sport mode without the adaptive suspension. I drove a 335i Sport Line and she eventually drove a 328i sport line and we both thought the steering/handling feel were much closer to what we expect from a BMW in sport mode. She also decided she could live with everest gray on the Sport Line and I was just happy to get sport seats. We weren't sure if the better steering feel was down to summer tires or something else, so we took a calculated gamble and ordered a 328i Sport with DHP.

Have only had the car a couple days but we're really happy with the driving characteristics so far. I do agree with Jon that the standard sport suspension feels just about perfect and we could easily live with that every day. If I ordered my own car with a manual I could skip DHP, but I'm really glad we got it because I can set sport mode to chassis only and use it all the time with normal transmission behavior. I haven't driven it enough to determine if the adaptive suspension is stiffer than the passive sport, but neither is as punishing over freeway expansion joints as my dad's E90 or my friends' 128i. Comfort is I guess nice for when your in-laws are in the car.

The VSS has also been great. Weighting even in sport mode seems slightly lighter than the 335i Sport that I tested, so maybe the heavier engine has something to do with that. But feedback is better than I expected, and the variable ratio doesn't feel unnatural. It's a gradual change and you only feel it when you make u-turns or tight turns.

In short I am glad we got it if only so we can customize the sport program. If you need to stick with the Luxury Lime then it's a no-brainer, best of both worlds.