View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 E46 Sedan & '14 GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmiami View Post
The sales manager happened to have lived in Vienna for 7 years and when I showed him the map, he agreed with not taking a chance in the alps and remaining north. In addition, he pointed out a couple of other places close to our route, so I have taken what I wanted, added some of the suggestions here and offline folks to come up with my final "planned" route... I remain flexible and don't have reservations along the route yet. This is going to be an adventure!! Here is the link to my "final" map... https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...aae4a81e&msa=0
You have a full program lined up that should give you a great experience. Even though you do not have reservations I do not think that you will have any problem finding places to stay. October is usually an ideal travel month as there are relatively few tourists on the road. Of course, events such as Oktoberfest can change all that. I would be inclined to make your first and last night's reservation before you leave, and you may want to reserve your preferred hotel in Berlin ahead of time. Other than that, check your other overnight locations for conventions and other hotel filling events.

A couple of nitpicks: 1) On your way from Salzburg to Fussen, if you are enjoying the first part where you are following the Alpenstrasse, I would stay on the Alpenstrasse the rest of the way. Google has routed you on an autobahn through Innsbruck and IMO Innsbruck is just another modern town and by including it you will miss some spectacular scenery.

2) At some point between Frankfurt and Cologne I would get off the autobahns and drive alongside the Rhine and, if possible, the Mosel. The Rhine between Bingen and Koblenz is very beautiful and the Mosel from Koblenz to Cochem is even more beautiful.

Obviously I am recommending adding additional driving time to an already full program. I also will not have to get up early the next morning with you to do the next segment. So I fully accept your decision to stay on the autobahns!