View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Your mechanic should be telling you what diagnostics he's done to determine the head gasket is blown at cylinders 3 & 4. Did he do a compression test and get low readings on these cylinders? Did he do a leak down test and see a high leak down rate at these cylinders? Has he done a pressure test on the cooling system that failed and then seen signs of coolant in cylinders 3 & 4?
If your mechanic can't or won't give you this info it's time to find a new mechanic.
You are correct that E36s can be difficult to bleed. This procedure has always worked for me. You have add the coolant very slowly and let it overflow until you see zero bubbles, not even tiny ones coming out.
I use BMW coolant and distilled water for a couple reasons, first it's not really any more expensive than buy the other brands of pre-mixed coolants, and second in my own unscientific comparison testing it seems to have more lubricant and corrosion inhibitor in it than commercial brands do.
Good luck.