View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dork Knight View Post
Here are a few of the first photos we took with the new camera. To say there's a learning curve is an understatement, but I was really pleased with how much the camera covered for my shortfalls. We intend to learn more along the way and get better with composition, framing and other disciplines vs just pointing and shooting. The photo where our dog has the ball in her mouth isn't all that great in terms of composition and the like, but I was really amazed that I could see the sunset in the slobber on the ball. Something about that was just cool to me. As for the flower photo, this shows how far I have to go in terms of macro shots. (not my forte by any stretch)
Couple other comments - when shooting animals or children, try to shoot at eye level. Your 2nd shot (eye level) is much, much better than your 1st shot (looking down at the dog). Same goes with little kids.

I know you are on a budget, so I highly recommend a cheap fast prime lens. Nikon has a $200 35 f/1.8, not sure if Canon has a cheap equivalent. They have a cheap ($100?) 50mm f/1.8, but that's a tough focal length to use indoors, so if you're gonna shoot kids indoors much, go with 35mm.

Sigma makes terrific prime lenses, like the 30mm f/1.4 ($400) or 50mm f/1.4 ($500), but dunno if that's in your price range.

A fast prime will teach you a ton about photography, and will get you great shots of kids and animals - since we had the baby, the 35mm never leaves my camera, except when I switch to the 50mm Sigma outdoors.