View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB S500/750Li Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
I have a nagging question for all you detail guys out there that is driving me crazy. I have a brand new 2013 Alpine White X3 Msport and have sealed the paint with Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant.

What I've noticed, actually felt, is from day one, even before sealing, the paint feels "gritty" almost metalic like all over. Is this normal with Alpine White BMW X3 paint? I am actually wondering if BMW had a bad batch of clear coat or something. Does this happen? The Wolfgang sealant gives me a nice shine but what's perplexing is how rough paint feels to the hand. It's like rubbing your hand over micro fine sandpaper.

The car felt this way straight out of production and so far hasn't improved after 3 sealant jobs. Does this sound like defective paint? Is this typical with sealants? Would switching to wax help? I'll clay it in the Spring but I don't this isn't the culprit. The car is brand new with only 4000 miles on it. I also have 2 tiny rock chips on the middle of the hood of all odd places so not even a direct hit. Cheap paint! What does a dealer normally charge Per chip?

Thanks for the input! Can't wait to hear what you guys diagnose and order up for a fix.
Jen
You made the right decision by protecting the paint. However, it sounds like you did not clay bar the paint (necessary before applying sealant or wax unless layering protection), meaning the contaminants that are making the paint feel "gritty" are actually trapped under your sealant. Plus, this may be why you found it necessary to re-seal the paint (usually sealants can last 6 months to a year depending if you use wax boosters or not)

Also, if the clay bar doesn't help, you should use Iron-X before claying and applying wax. It's literally an after-wash spray you use when preparing the paint for polishing and/or protection. Just make sure you don't leave it on too long (a few minutes should be good enough) and do it out of sunlight.

2008 BMW Individual E66 750Li
2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 W220