View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93/335i
Sorry you weren't happy with your D, but congrats on the 50i! That's what we would have gotten, skipping the 35i completely, if my wife didn't like the D.

Ride is very nice with our D and the standard suspension and 18" Style 209 wheels, even on pretty choppy and rough pavement. We specifically avoided the larger 19 and 20" wheels for this reason. It still handles more than good enough, although there's noticeable body roll in corners without AD. We have third row seats, which I think includes the self-leveling suspension. Very comfortably riding car no matter what we drive it over. The only thing that bugs me about the 6 speed automatic is that the first two gears are way too short. They did this on purpose to give it some solid towing and slow speed off-road ability while skipping the two-speed transfer case. Not my DD so I'm probably just not used to it. Feels a bit mushy at slower speeds too, probably to avoid driveline shock if you were towing something pretty heavy. Torque converter stays unlocked which makes it feel slushy, but put your foot down and it clamps down hard in lockup mode and feels nice and crisp again. Drove an E90 335d loaner for a week which has the same 6 speed automatic but a much taller final drive ratio, and it felt much more natural to drive to me. No complaints about not being able to get downshifts. It does try to hold the upper gears in D mode, but put it in DS and it'll happily downshift very easily. Yup it does run out of steam up top quite noticeably. It's great at up to 8/10ths, but if you're pushing beyond that you'll feel like you want more. JBD chip? I did test a 35d and 35i back to back and had them flat on some highway acceleration tests, and they really didn't feel a whole lot different to me though. I think the 35i/N55 loses a lot of its charm when in 5000lb E70 duty. I like it a whole lot more, and the exhaust sounds a whole lot better in my E93 335i.

Anyways have fun with the 50i! Should be a beast!

more pics here