View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Tirerack will mount and balance your new tires and wheels in-house. Your local Tirerack installer would just be mounting them. You should certainly check reviews and comments on them before deciding.

My local Tirerack installer is an independent BMW shop. They have shown me how hard the wheels can be to remove, sometimes requiring a little beating with a rubber mallet. They have shown me buildup that they recommend wire-brushing off, reducing the need for the next rubber mallet beating. They have offered to clean the brake dust residue off of the wheels going into storage. They have also consulted with me as to tire pressures, recommending that I go about 2lbs. higher on both front and rear. I'm very happy with them, and plan to use them for non-dealer work.

You also have to consider what to do with an almost 3-foot stack and 300-350lbs weight of off-season tires and wheels. Perhaps your BMW dealer offers a storage option. Perhaps your dealer wouldn't mind having your Tirerack order drop-shipped to them, and charging you to mount your winter sneakers and store your summer sneakers. Service is a different profit center than Parts, so you're not stepping on Service's toes by buying from Tirerack. At a minimum, Service should know the correct lugbolt torque setting.

Last edited by 02420X3; 09-29-2012 at 09:49 PM.