View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Headlight, Xenon bulb replacement

Just replaced a burned out headlight xenon bulb.
BMW wanted almost $400 to replace it ($240 for part, plus $130 for an hour of labor, plus tax).

Instead I went for Option B and bought the bulb for $40 on ebay. The oem bulb is an Osram D1S with 4150k brightness.

I bought a DOT stamped Philips XenStart D1S Xenon from
oemxenonparts, 4300k, and it matches perfectly with the Osram. No need to replace both.

Installation required removing 2 top screws and 2 at the bottom, you need an extension to reach down. The headlight unit then slides forward and you wriggle it loose and tilt out of the cavity. A plastic cover on the back drops down to expose the bulb. turn it 1/4 turn and remove. Unplug the wire, take off the neckless type bracket, like a collar, and clip onto new bulb. Install.
Whole procedure took 20-30 minutes but this was a first time experience and I was figuring it out on the fly.
The 2 lower screws are tricky to refasten. You need an 8mm socket with magnet at bottom to hold the screw, or a nut driver with long shaft, 6 inches or so. I stuffed a little duct tape inside to make it sticky. Did the job.
Ads by Google