View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
You have said that the majority of the cars you've driven exhibit the problem, so what happens if your new one also does it? Personally I'm more inclined to believe that the problem is more of a rarity as I've never observed it and have driven about six different F30s now... but maybe I'm not enough of an enthusiast to notice it.

Also, if BMW is replacing entire cars over the issue they would be very highly motivated to discover the cause and get it corrected.
Makes me wonder if it's the same type of thing that's common with cameras. A new model comes out, someone has a subtle problem, it hits a message board, people that don't have the issue think they do and pretty soon the problem gets reported as rampant.

I can't remember perfectly but it seems to me, historically, a lot of BMW steering wheels have had a very distinct feel with more feedback than is typical even for sporty cars. I've always liked this feel, particularly here with the F30 where things can seem a little muted compared to prior models.

I'm not saying some cars don't have an issue, but my 328i Sport steering wheel vibrates slightly in response to road characteristics throughout the speed spectrum and in line with past models. I wonder if standards/expectations have changed and to what extent there are cars with a certain problem.

In any event, I have a very difficult time believing this a true, rampant problem.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.