View Single Post
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
I can see and feel my vibration. Had it in to the dealer with less than 500 miles to address the situation...didn't work. If I had to put an uneducated guess as to the cause I would have to say that it is some issue with the power steering itself. If it was a mechanical issue, i.e. wheel balancing, hub diameter, tire issue, etc...., it seems that it would be more consistent. Last night on my drive home at 50mph on a dead smooth patch of highway, the steering wheel vibration was as bad as it's ever been. Pull up to daycare, pick my kid up and head out for home and vibration is barely noticeable even when my hand was off the wheel. This morning, same deal...could barely feel it.
This post describes the issue pretty well. I only notice IT when I am going 43mph to about 55mph and that is a few times a day during my drive to/from work. I think for us that have owned BMW's the new steering doesn't require that you grasp the steering wheel as hard. The steering is much lighter and easier - hence, why I noticed the shaking I think.

After sending my car to have it checked out - it doesn't seem as bad, they balanced the tires. But the loaner that had about 6,900 miles on it shook terribly which concerns me - will my steering wheel shaking worsen with time?

Unfortunately, I've not had a very good experience with my Service Rep - he basically doesn't believe me. So I ended up talking to the Manager of the Service Department and suggested they hunt down the loaner they gave me and drive it at the speeds we've talked about. The Manager actually admitted knowing of one other customer of theirs that reported having the same problem and then going to BWM to deal with their problem.

I probably would have not been pissed nor looked this up on this blog, which I have followed for a while now, if I hadn't been treated like I was losing my mind. Again - my concern is what is actually causing the problem. Can it be fixed? Will this affect the value of my car? Will the shaking worsen as I put more miles on my vehicle? Will this affect my tires? I think all of these questions are valid. I didn't spend $49k for a car with a shaking steering wheel. I expect more from BMW. But I would be extremely satisfied if they found a simple fix that won't affect the value of my vehicle.

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i