View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Uh, DDC really makes a difference. If you can't tell, you don't have the active suspension.

My thoughts:

Definitely Nav
HUD, if only for the much better dashboard.
Try to swing Nappa. It is a huge difference. Really big. Would rather get Nappa than lux seating package, for sure ( I have both).
I'm only 500 miles into my new car, so take this with a grain of salt.

Suspension:
For MY13, it's either "Sports Suspension" or DDC. This is a change from the past where ARS and DDC were bundled, and there was no distinct "Sport Suspension." For unclear reasons, but verified by many, electing DDC in MY13 will delete the stiffer sports suspension that comes with the M-Sport. After having a prior E39, I'm very happy with the suspension feel in my car without DDC. The only reason for me to have DDC is if I wanted to soften the suspension on occasion (as my dad would, for example--he doesn't like rough rides) but not an issue for me.

I'll break my other recommendations into categories:

Must have:

M-Sport
Tech Package. Agree HUD is really well done, and I can't wait to code mine to include telephone/entertainment information. For MY13, this is part of the Tech package, which includes Nav, BMW Apps, Real-time traffic. All of these are important to me.

Premium Package. Comfort access and Satellite Radio were essential. Trunk (with hands free opening) is surprisingly useful, and comfort access allows you to close the trunk and lock all doors with the touch of a button inside the trunk lid.

Driver Assistance Package. PDC is essential. I'm very happy with the rear and top view cameras, as well. The side view cameras are unnecessary for me (but helpful if you live in an urban area and have to pull out of alleys--but just a demonstration toy for me).

Luxuries (but well worth it):
Premium Sound. I am a music lover and am really impressed. Can't imagine what the B&O sounds but would not spend that kind of money on a car audio in a million years (and I've built and designed a audiophile 7.2 channel home theater in the past).

Nappa, and also comfort seats. These two together make a huge difference in seating comfort. For someone with a long commute, this is a big deal for me. I like seat heating because of back issues and not due ambient temperature here.

Ceramic Controls--though overpriced, the interior looks much better.

Unnecessary:
Soft-close doors. Probably the only option I added that seems like it was a waste given the cost, although helpful already since I have young kids.

Minor regrets:
Here in Miami, I should probably have gone for the full luxury seating package instead (adding ventilated seats). Given my stop/go commute, I wonder if I should have added the active cruise control (though I never use the regular kind except on long trips).