View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I started looking at a MB 550 coupe, which is still on my short list. The 650 is certainly a step up, but of course it should be for $25K more. Again lease factors are not a consideration as I am looking at a purchase. And fact is we are in the post 9/11 world, and all Mfgs have consumer incentives to some degree. I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a BMW AND a deal. Fact is as much as I like the 650, it is overpriced, with features like blind spot/lane departure a option which are standard on cars half the price. and LED's which should be standard on their halo car. Frankly the only way I will go for the 650 is with decent incentives/discounts. And frankly after doing some research, the 6 series has historically had big time depreciation, this even before BMW began customer end incentives - so it would seem logical to get it at the lowest price possible. We all know BMW makes huge profit margins on the upper end 6/7 series. And I understand it's not a domestic - but again a $2000 incentive in a $90,000 BMW is not in the same ballpark as $2000 off a $25,000 Ford or Chevy. BMW won't even feel it.

Bottom line from my point of view - BMW offered $2500 incentive last Dec on the 6er, when it was a brand new model, and can't imagine they won't do something similar this year, given it's now in it's second year, competition with MB, and European market crashing. I'll wait a bit longer ( would like the updated Idrive as well which for some bizarre reason is now in the 5 & 7 series but they skipped the 6) I do appreciate your insight. And in my case - no, it won't sell without some stimulation. And I would think dealers would love the incentives, BMW is funding them and you would get more sales - lobby Munich!!
I agree with your with you pov, who doesn't like incentives to purchase a car. At the end of the day yes I'm not expecting crazy incentives on a vehicle (unless it's last gen or it's sales dud) however I do expect some trunk money on any car.

Now will I complain that AT THIS VERY MOMENT the TRUNK MONEY ISNT THERE? YES. However BMW runs a business, and I don't purchase a car the moment I set my eyes on it. I know BMW will in the future run some sort of incentives programs which will make me want to buy the car, at the price I want to pay and then I will happily purchase it. Patients and restraint will happily snag you the right price. This is one of those time were you have to make a decision whether you want the car now at a price above what your willing to pay, vs later where new incentives might pop up.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!