Thread: Wagner IC
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel61 View Post
at Snipe and Taibanl I question you two, have you logged anything to make us wonder if your assesments are correct, if so please provide or otherwise go the other site and inquire at TurboEddie about his logs. Another thing we tend to forget our ICs have a sensor that actually protects our engine in over boosting(heat soak) or something to that effect so that our engines are not compromised and damaged it will trigger Safe Mode
I have not logged a single thing but nor am I making radical claims. What have you logged? How much experience do you have with aftermarket intercoolers? What brand cores did they use? What was your testing procedure? You tell me then why would a supposedly more efficient intercooler cause an increase in mpg when cruising down the freeway which is a point not much boost would be flowing through it for cooling and a point when the air is so "thick" that the intercooler should be at one of its most efficient points of usage, basically meaning that is the point an intercooler is least even needed on a turbocharged car.

I happen to have a large amount of experience with testing aftermarket intercoolers on several different cars. I could not even begin to guess the countless hours spent testing ones with different cores, designs, and placements. I know after it was all said and done a large percentage of them were nothing more than automotive snake oil for lack of a better term. I know from it all that the core selection is a critical aspect, there is actually a reason why things like Marston, Secan and Behr are so costly. I also know that many times a more efficient intercooler really does not help the overall combination much(if any) because it was an unneeded item for the combination.

So excuse me for having a curiosity about such things and trying to find out the details experts came up with to show a need for something. And no I am not going to join yet another BMW forum, one is more than enough for my attention span.