View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
New E39 (528i) Owner

Bought a 2000 528i from a friend I know from work, it was his wife's car. It has 133,000 miles on her and the exterior and interior were in great condition. No leaks, no engine light, just needs a few things like light bulbs and new filters. Very happy with the car so far, its a comfortable ride and handles turns great.
To make oil changes easier, I bought a oil extractor from Bavarian Autosports. Its a great little unit, very durable and easy to use. And I dont have to worry about any goof-balls stripping the threading on the aluminum pan. Since this is a budget build I am keeping maintenance cost as low as I can, which means doing work myself, and utilizing local parts and fluids.
I filled up the oil extractor today and replaced the old oil with Wal-Mart's "Super Tech" Synthetic 5W-30. The previous oil hadn't been changed since 2008! It was so sludgy I couldn't even see my reflection in it. It runs a lot better with the new oil and WIX filter. My question is it really necessary to "re-set" after an oil change? Couldn't I just log the oil changes/mileage in my owners manual?
I replaced the air filter with a new "WIX" made in china but again, this is a budget project. No window tinting, no after-market exhaust, and no new rims. This car is staying as-is.

Advertisement