View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
1. Do you have a picture of this? This sounds like your teflon Vanos piston ring although there is no way it could get into the the timing chain area. It was probably a section of your valve cover gasket. These get plasticized and very brittle and crack apart during VC removal.

2. When you say "no significant damage", how bad was the piston "damage"? Pictures? The pistons are aluminum and dent and scratch very easily. Any compromise to the surface can affect the seal, which can then affect engine timing.

3. Lastly, if the slot that the O-ring sits in, on the Vanos piston cap was damaged, that would cause a possible leak in the system. Pictures?
1. Don't have a picture now but I saved a piece of it to take a picture of later. It was not one of the teflon Vanos piston rings because both pistons had all 4 teflon rings still intact. I'm almost positive it was not a section of the valve cover gasket because it's width was perfectly uniform over the entire lenght and the edges were perfectly straight, in other words seemed to have been manufactured with that shape in mind, not just a piece that ripped off some bigger gasket.

2. I was in quite a rush to get the job done since the shop whose tools and space I was borrowing were closing soon so I didnt get a picture but i would describe the damage as a few scratches that your finger nail most likely wouldn't catch on.

3. I'm pretty sure the slot that the o-ring sits on at the bottom of the cap wasn't damaged, just the upper part.