Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Must be some sort of re-think on BMWNA's part:

I put about 6500-7000 on my car per year. My oil change history is as follows:

Car in service date: 8/15/2009
First Oil Change (at dealership): 8/02/2010 - 6768 mi
Second Oil Change (at dealership): 4/19/2011- 11459 mi (when car was at dealership for warranty issue)
Third Oil change (at Indy at my expense) no reset: 4/04/2012 - 18908 mi
Fourth Oil Change while car at dealership for annual safety inspection- no reset:8/20/2012 - 21900 mi

Now here is the interesting part: There is about 2900 miles left on the service counter on 8/20/2012. My SA tells me to make sure and come back in when my service counter expires for another oil change. Hmmm. That's only ~3000 miles. Certainly very short of the 15000 mile intervals they "advise". I look at him quizzically. "Huh? So, you are telling me that you'll do another oil change in 3000 miles?"

Here is his explanation - obviously tailored to the Houston (oil patch) market: "Well it's this way. We have a lot of customers that get sent on out of country assignments and so their cars don't get driven much, but then they come home and their car needs maintenance so yeah, bring it on in and we'll do another oil change."

It seems rather frivolous, but gee, if it's part of my "pre-paid" maintenance, why wouldn't I?
Kat,
Interesting...then we hear all the posts from members who get turned away because their "service-based" indicators don't indicate the need for an oil change. Oh well... INCONSISTENT application of the oil change rules!! Some dealers are more "flexible" than others. Imagine the "cost" of oil to a dealer who buys oil by the "drum." No need to *iss off customers, but we've seen plenty of examples (posts) of dealers who have done this...including a recent post by a Canadian fester.

The odd thing about my dealer call to me today is that they were virtually "scolding" me about my failure to bring my car in for the oil change...in spite of my inquiry about the service-based requirement that indicates that I don't have to. Strange.

I for one, have some faith in synthetic oil...and as reported, at about 5K my oil level is FULL. I must have GREAT cylinder rings. I may keep this IL6 forever!!
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 10-03-2012 at 08:17 PM.