View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: No BWM (yet)
Thanks mulchman. After looking into the term "coolant pipe", this led me to some other threads on here which frankly scared me in regards to the kinds of fun I might expect when it comes to repairs. Never having owned or really even looked at BMWs to buy before now, admittedly I am behind the curve. I figured the maintenance might be more than other cars....but that the reliability of the German made machines would be comparable to other makes we have owned (Honda, Mazda, etc). From looking at some of the potential gotchas (coolant pipe, gaskets, plastic pan cracks), it sounds like I'd be setting myself up for a lot of $$ outside of the normal car payments/insurance. We're not broke, but also not loaded to where we can constantly pay for unscheduled repairs, either.
One thing that's a bit confusing to me is that when looking at reliability figures on a site like Edmunds, the cars seem to get really high marks. Maybe this is simply a matter of the threads on "gotchas" with 6 series being very thorough to include any problems that you "might" see, and not will LIKELY see, but would welcome any thoughts on that as well.
I just know that if buying something for my wife, she would not welcome repeated problems from a car (no matter how nice it is when it's working properly), especially since she is usd to a vehicle where it has proven to be problem free.
Thanks again for the input!