View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhallman View Post
The car is a CPO so I still have about 10 months of CPO contract left. The dealer takes the car with the check engine light on and replaces all six injectors. I did not have the preferred "261" model number installed as my car was built in April of 2007. This was all done under warranty. Now that part is outstanding but what was not so good was that I hit the freeway and the car starts missing again.

So I drop it off again and they tell me it has really dirty valves. And they tell me this is a fuel issue: eff you it is a fuel issue.

I believe a class acttion lawsuit should be started for all the poor souls out there who are paying to get their valves cleaned. Those valves are dirty because of lousy engineering.

They're prob right about a fuel issue....ethanol and volatility of crankcase lube components; PCV.

But....that doesn't excuse BMW Engineering from addressing the issue in the design phase. USA being their largest market, they did not do due diligence re: HPFP, and valve coking issues.

HPFP was an drop dead simple fix well known to engineers for over 60 years. Took BMW 4 years and a Federal threat to make the software change and repair damaged parts....expect the same for this, coming to a head as many engines will reach 60k mi from about now, forward.

Recommend you start the ball rolling! You and others can [should] complain to NHTSA about the safety aspect - missing engine/loss of power at a critical moment - which is all they will be concerned about. It is from NHTSA that many recalls originate. The point here is to document, document, document instances of the problem to build a database.

Even if NHTSA takes no action, the volume of cases will be an attorney's wet dream. You get the point. GOOD LUCK TO YA!