View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
I have a slightly different take...

Instead of bemoaning what the M5 is not, I prefer to celebrate it for what it is - an ultimate expression of a gentleman's rapid express - a sporty large four door GT, capable of great velocity, offering a luxury environment. Moreover, being a BMW, the M5 is still a value play - a lot of content for a not an unreasonable sum.

Cars are changing - look at the 991 v. 997 - more capable but less visceral la BMW M5. Slightly homogenized, less edgy, more luxury, enhanced efficiency and tech, is the new normal. I suspect we need to accommodate ourselves to this brave new reality. In a world increasingly dominated by a "green" vehicle psyche, and given the development costs of any new car, I toast BMW for having the courage to produce the M5.
see this is where i disagree. i dont think that the M5 is the sporty large four door GT that you claim it to be. BMW invented this class of car. it used to be a 4 door sports car. you can argue that as cars get bigger/heavier/more luxurious, some of the inherrent sportiness falls away. i get that. but this is their wheelhouse. they INVENTED this niche. and now they are getting pushed out of the limelight by the Cadillac?

oh the irony

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual