View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 02:22 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
I have a slightly different take...

Instead of bemoaning what the M5 is not, I prefer to celebrate it for what it is - an ultimate expression of a gentleman's rapid express - a sporty large four door GT, capable of great velocity, offering a luxury environment. Moreover, being a BMW, the M5 is still a value play - a lot of content for a not an unreasonable sum.

Cars are changing - look at the 991 v. 997 - more capable but less visceral la BMW M5. Slightly homogenized, less edgy, more luxury, enhanced efficiency and tech, is the new normal. I suspect we need to accommodate ourselves to this brave new reality. In a world increasingly dominated by a "green" vehicle psyche, and given the development costs of any new car, I toast BMW for having the courage to produce the M5.
You are right on the mark.

What makes the M5 special is that it's a car that you are excited to drive on the streets. It's power and handling are perfectly honed for the Alpine roads, the mountains and hills, the city streets and the highways.

Is it the ultimate track car? No it isn't. The Ariel Atom is far better.

However this review is effectively judging the M5 by the wrong standards. It's like saying the Porsche 911 GT3 is rubbish because the Ariel Atom gives you more feel, more excitement, more connection to the road. But try driving an Ariel Atom to the office in the rain!

The M5 to me - is the best possible saloon car I would want to drive on public roads. And nothing comes close. You give me an example and I will tell you why it isn't as good.

Panamera - too quiet, lacks excitement, instrumentation is not good enough for driving at the limit (e.g. no shift indicators in HUD), steering wheel is too thin and not conducive to control.

CLS63 AMG - balance is not quite perfect. Doesn't corner as well. Also doesn't have good instrumentation. Transmission is too slow.

M3 - not particularly luxurious, jumpy over expansion joints, not fast enough.

E63 AMG - Ugly, and same issues as CLS63 AMG

S6 - AWD unable to deliver the same driving excitement. Where's the power sliding?

Cadillac CTS-V - haven't driven it and I have no intention of doing so. Its a smaller car and it looks like ****.

So having ruled out the sedan competition, you are left with sports cars. Well that's comparing apples and oranges isn't it?

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels