View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Despite its less power, Panamera GTS is much more exciting to drive than M5. Their sport-design steering is actually better than truck-size Msport steering on M5.

They should put M6 steering on M5. When they put Msport steering on M5, M5 does not feel special anymore.

Regarding the comments on M3, Luxury is never M cars' strong appeal. It's always its driving EXCITEMENT which sets it apart.

Driving excitement is not equal to fastest/quickest though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
You are right on the mark.

What makes the M5 special is that it's a car that you are excited to drive on the streets. It's power and handling are perfectly honed for the Alpine roads, the mountains and hills, the city streets and the highways.

Is it the ultimate track car? No it isn't. The Ariel Atom is far better.

However this review is effectively judging the M5 by the wrong standards. It's like saying the Porsche 911 GT3 is rubbish because the Ariel Atom gives you more feel, more excitement, more connection to the road. But try driving an Ariel Atom to the office in the rain!

The M5 to me - is the best possible saloon car I would want to drive on public roads. And nothing comes close. You give me an example and I will tell you why it isn't as good.

Panamera - too quiet, lacks excitement, instrumentation is not good enough for driving at the limit (e.g. no shift indicators in HUD), steering wheel is too thin and not conducive to control.

CLS63 AMG - balance is not quite perfect. Doesn't corner as well. Also doesn't have good instrumentation. Transmission is too slow.

M3 - not particularly luxurious, jumpy over expansion joints, not fast enough.

E63 AMG - Ugly, and same issues as CLS63 AMG

S6 - AWD unable to deliver the same driving excitement. Where's the power sliding?

Cadillac CTS-V - haven't driven it and I have no intention of doing so. Its a smaller car and it looks like ****.

So having ruled out the sedan competition, you are left with sports cars. Well that's comparing apples and oranges isn't it?