View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Known as Finnegan

Mein Auto: 07 Sapphire Black Z4Mc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Why?
Why not?

But seriously, my front rotors are worn out of spec, and I need new ones. So I was looking at other options besides OEM (or similar, like Turner), and sizing up options/value.

RB is a good deal with the 20% discount right now, and it makes the cost competitive to OEM with several pluses. The RB has 2mm of additional rotor thickness and an allowable 2mm wear factor (factory is only 1.6mm). RB is a bit more than OEM, but hats are reusable with replaceable rotor rings. The RBs have 25% greater wear capacity, are slotted not drilled, and reported to be harder (denser). Several folks heavily tracking their cars report these wear much more slowly that OEM. So actual durability may be higher than just the 25% great wear factor. So, why not get more for my money rather than going OEM?

As for the PU upgrade, there are several reasons. First, because it should have a better pedal feel. Second, swapping pads (street -> track -> street) with the stock calipers is a total PITA and it's getting old. Swapping pads with the PU calipers is a piece of cake. Third, I can't lie that about the fact that they just look damn cool. (Yes, appearance!) Fourth, the rear PU upgrade (and RB rotor, with same pluses, and I'm close to needing rear rotors too) will really make swapping pads on all 4 wheels a breeze. With 4 piston calipers on all 4 wheels pedal feel should improve, and then there's that "appearance" thing again. Lastly, there's an upgrade path to E9x M3 rotors--just need new rotor rings and different caliper mounting bracket. I think that's overkill, but it's still nice to have options.
2007 Sapphire Black Z4M / LeatherZ Goodies / Turner Camber Kit / Clutch Stop / Ultimate Pedals / DIY Stubby / #1047
2012 Golf TDI (DD)

Last edited by FinneganZ; 10-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.