View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TSX, 2010, 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Can you guys help me understand why you bought your cars after a thorough test drive? Genuinely curious what it was that fooled you, so I can look out for that...
I can't speak to the OP's experience with the F30, but I was somewhat "fooled" by the EPS when I bought my TSX in 2009. My test drives were in the suburbs and on back roads, where, despite a lack of feedback from the contact patches, the accuracy and linear response were effective, as they are with the F30's steering. Both cars go exactly where you point them, with no "slack." The on-center "dead spot" and general lack of feedback are IMO a much bigger problem on the highway, where my Acura feels really disconnected. This was not readily apparent on my test drives, but it started to bother me soon after I bought the car. (Some owners of the FR-S/BRZ, which is generally lauded for its steering despite the electric assist, are reporting similar things.)

When I tested an F30, a 328i Sport Line with 6MT, I immediately recognized steering characteristics like my Acura, but even worse IMO because even in sport mode the BMW's steering was much lighter, which makes it feel even less connected. I fully agree with all the criticisms leveled at BMW's EPS, and I hope it improves.

That said, tires will certainly make a difference, and I can't wait to ditch my Acura's OEM Michelins. When I switched our other car to the same Michelins due to their good snow performance, steering feel definitely decreased.

Last edited by Nedmundo; 10-05-2012 at 09:01 AM.