View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
that is pretty sweet
I agree. HUD doesn't do much for me generally and I would not pay for it but that rev. and gear view would be helpful with a DCT. After having the DCT for 26k miles now I like it a lot but the one thing I miss the most compared to an MT is the direct and 100% immediately accurate gear selection on the downshifts. With the DCT under hard braking from high speeed into a tight corner you need to frantically flip through gears and you are not really sure where you endup without looking at the gear display in the instrument cluster or trying to keep count. With an MT you need none of that, each gear has a fixed position that you know where it is without having to look or think. You can also go directly from sixth to second and if you misjudged you can feel it in the reaction to the clutch engaging and quickly select another gear. All this without having to direct or re-focus your eyes away from the road. That HUD view would mitigate some of that. On the upshifts the DCT is superb and the auto mode has it's own charm. IN the scenario above it's actually quite cool in auto since when you dive into a corner with no pressure on the accelerator and then squeeze it there will be a phenomenal throttle blip that engage the rigth gear smoother than you thought possible. Due to the perfect blip there is no detectable impact on the speed when the gear engages that could unsettle your car. Then if you choose to bury the throttle it's another story

Last edited by solstice; 10-05-2012 at 11:00 AM.