View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
There's no question that BMW softened the F30 for those of us (raises hand) that are more interested in a comfortable ride than a harsh one. I loved many things about my E90 M-Sport, but the pothole explosions were not one of them, made my kids nauesous just to ride in it.

So what you used to view as the "base" suspension on a 3 Series is now on what is called the Sport line. Had you driven that, you'd have been impressed that a car that's larger is that nimble on its feet, the quick acceleration you noticed plus the traditional firmer ride. For another $900 you can add the Adaptive M Suspension which is the best of both worlds. Push a button, it adjusts for the soft Comfort ride of the base that you drove, push it again and it adjusts to the firm Sport ride of the Sport line that you would have liked.

What used to be a 3 Series given- a taut, connected ride- is now something you have to ask for. It's still there, but if you test drive the wrong version you're going to be disappointed.

BJ
Well said. BMW knows its market and it's not us. The F30 base model fits their customer base to a 'T'. If you want the performance we had with the E90 you can still get it, but now they fit you with an 'M'.
BMW is out to kick ass. Ass is not kicked on the track but with production numbers. BJ speaks the truth about what it takes to sell to the larger market. It's as simple as that.
Porsche knows it. Audi and Mercedes know it. Even Ferarri knows it! Now you know it. We may not like the dilution, the fuzziness, the lack of precision, but the vast majority of their customers will be quite happy in an upscale performance Camry, thank you very much.