We actually did not place a deposit on any car. Went to the dealer yesterday and worked on pricing. Still not in agreement, but we left off yesterday at $1000 over invoice, $0 down/CCR, plus their insistent $599 "doc fees" and $799 "prep fees". They wouldn't let me leave with a deal sheet because we haven't agreed on final numbers yet. I'm told the $599 doc fee is non-negotiable and is charged to every person at every dealer of every manufacturer, at least in South Florida. Not sure how much I believe that, but I've never bought anything down here.
Went to Carmax and got an estimate...BMW dealer was $500 less and they won't go up. Since the trade has a lien, carmax will not issue a check for purchase until they have a clear title, 3-4 weeks after the sale. In the meantime, assuming we waited for this check before leasing new, we wouldn't have a car, so that wouldn't work out so well. The trade isn't critical to the deal...the remaining amount after loan payoff will offset the cash due on delivery (basically MSD, 1st payment, taxes/fees). We have the cash to cover this, but prefer to use the trade allowance for simplicity. Not to mention, unless I am wrong (very likely), if we sell the car to dealer A, then get a new car at dealer B, we would have to pay for new tags instead of just transferring the tags, no?
I will take your suggestion and contact the SE Bimmerfest sponsor (Adrian in Atlanta?). To that end, my credit was already pulled and approved for this lease...would this still be valid if going to another dealer, or would they run their own paperwork through BMWFS?