View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
Threatened dealer with walking and going elsewhere, where I was reminded the $599 doc fee applies everywhere. They looked confused when I said buying out-of-state is always an option. At least he's been honest that the $599 is a markup and profit for the dealer, but since it's applied to everyone they can't change it, to be fair. He also looked confused when I asked if MSRP/selling price is the same for everyone...you know, in order to keep it fair... I can't complain about their honesty, which has been upfront, but it's hard to swallow when you're told "this fee is high, and most of it is our markup, which is profit, but we're not supposed to tell you that. We won't reduce that fee, but here's another $200 off the sales price." I think it is fair for the dealer to make a fair profit, but not gouge their clients with bogus fees. We all need to make a living, but fortunately I haven't heard the "you're stealing from my family" line...yet.

I've also had several past auto purchase loans through my credit union - we will never use a bank because a CU is the only way to go for service, rates, and pretty much everything else. They told me when doing anything concerning hard credit pulls, whether it's an auto loan, mortgage, insurance, etc., it's better to have multiple credit inquiries within 30 days opposed to having only one. Points are deducted either way, but it's 5-10 for "rate shopping" and 10-20 for only one single hard pull.

And no, I didn't go through the BMW website for credit approval. One of my many mistakes in this ordeal. Thanks for all the advice so far! I'll keep you posted.