View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, and I've got no dog in this fight, but I think there are a few things on modern cars that have solved old mechanical necessities and eventually they get to the point where no dual-functionality is needed. Power windows work. No need to put handcranks in there as a backup anymore.

Certainly there will be people with compromised eyesight to whom a darker mirror reduces visibility. BMW offers the standard manual day/night mirror, no? It's what I had on my E90.

BJ
Power windows are not really analogous to the autodimming mirrors. Power windows are controlled by the driver (and passengers). The car does not automatically raise and lower the windows based on conditions and if it did a manual override would be necessary.

A better analogy would be automatic on/off headlights or autodimming mirrors. Most of the time these are set it and forget it systems but there are times where you need to override the system because what the car did was not approriate to the situation.

The same holds true of the autodimming mirrors. The majority of the time the system works perfectly but there are situations where the mirrors are dimmed and I don't want them to be and I want the ability to override the system. Some drivers would perhaps never use an override feature and some would keep the system permanently disabled but I want the ability to determine when I want the mirrors to dim automatically.

I have never heard of a car with power windows that had handcranks as a backup system.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.