View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 04:53 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
Obviously, it is not a way to fix the transmission. That's so self-evident that i did not state it.

It is, however, a way to enable you to forestall the inevitable rebuild. For some people, that's an option they would be glad to exercise if they could.
This is incorrect, it is a complete waste of time and money to try and replace the fluid on a failed auto trans. It has been tried millions of times I am sure, always ending up in the junkyard or with a replacement trans. It is misleading to suggest this will work, it will not.

Quote:
Come one. Its just like switching to slightly thicker engine oil for very high mileage engines to improve piston ring sealing. I got that from the internet too.
You do realize that ATF doesn't come in various viscosities right? ATF comes specified for specific transmissions, not in different wieghts like motor oil.

Thicker motor oil will not help seal worn piston rings. Typically people use it to bolster fading oil pressure in worn engines with large clearances.

Quote:
After some time of diligent reading, asking questions, and careful alignment with certain posters who clearly know what they are talking about, you tend to build up some knowledge of the thing.
So you have read about it on the internet.... I on the other hand have decades of hands on mechanical repair experience. This is my sixth BMW among dozens of cars I have owned and worked on.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5