View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 08:24 PM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
I checked out the Magnum today. Loads of HP - I could drunk on that, but the particular specimen I drove was a hunk of crap! The seat belt warning sounded randomly. Both of us were securely belted in. I don't know what that was about. The turn signals did not cancel after turning. Lots of groaning and squeaking from the front end during turns. This was a 2006 model with just under 100k miles. I think I test drove it less than a mile. The salesman was surprised to see me back so soon but I knew that wasn't the right car that quickly.
The blindspots were an issue for me too, which goes further than that one particular specimen. It was a concern and driving it for that little while told me what I needed to know. This car had a lot of needs - tires, lots of paint touch up, weird stains on the headliner, etc.

So we ventured farther north to check out the 525it I'd found online. It too had some needs, but nothing major - engine oil leaks, front tires, alignment to correct the offset steering wheel, jack pads, some rubber door seals, and the battery compartment hatch (latch striker is broken so it won't stay in place). The paint wasn't bad, but far from perfect. The wheels need some love, and the airbag light was on. One of the techs in the shop pulled the code for me - passenger seat belt tensioner - ok, no biggie. Suspension - everything is tight, but the grease boots on the sway bar end links and the rear upper contol arms are torn, so those bits will require replacement sooner than later.

So after some back and forth with the salesman and used car manager - I'm now the owner of a 2002 BMW 525itA. Fatherhood, HERE I COME!